Defend International is asking its members and partners to join a special worldwide singing event called the Concert Across the World to End Gun Violence that will take place from September 21st to 24th.
A series of concerts will be taking place in cities across the United States with the objective of raising awareness about the epidemic of gun violence. This year the organisers will increase global solidarity for peace and for the goal of reducing the proliferation of small arms and light weapons.
The organizsrs are asking groups around the world―from church choirs and school groups to NGO organizations and government groups―to join in singing the same song, recording a video of it, and uploading it to social media anytime between September 21-24, 2017. The song chosen for this global event is called “Nothing More,” and it is about unity and peace. The sheet music for both vocalists and multiple instruments can be found here:
To participate in the event, simply follow these steps:
- Sign up through THIS online form.
- Follow the proceeding instructions, which are also listed on the form.
- Learn “Nothing More” by the Alternate Route
- Take a video of you and/or your friends singing the complete lyrics of “Nothing More” with or without a musical accompaniment, but be sure that the voices singing can be heard over any instruments. You can pre-record the song at any time, as long as the video is uploaded between September 21-24.
- It is also important to raise awareness of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 16.4, which aims to significantly reduce arms flow by 2030. In your video, please include a SDG 16.4 sign on a wall or held by members. The sign, along with with the Concert Across the World logos (in black and purple) and other resources can be found here.
- Post your video on your personal or organisational Facebook page between September 21-24 and use the hashtags #ConcertAcrossTheWorld and #EndGunViolence so that it can be found easily. Make sure you set the privacy settings to “Public” so that we can find it and count it.
- Share this message with others and invite them to join the project!
Thank you, and we look forward to you joining us in “turning up the music to turn down the hate.”